[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:50:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Phill Wiggin<alamar at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, let's face it.. "a mere $400" isn't exactly chump-change. For an aweful
> lot of folks, there's no _way_ they're going to be able to just toss out
> $400 to pick up new hardware.  If you can breathe life into an older system
> by taking a little compile-time, you can resuscitate and old under-powered
> machine and possibly get more use out of it.
>
> I'm a Gentoo user and I buy hardware more often than I should. (And $400
> still isn't "a mere" amount of money for me.)  The above argument may not
> exactly apply to me... But it does apply to many.

At home I do development (primarily LAMP stuff at the moment) on a
Dell 8250 running Gentoo.

Believe it or not, the laptop I've been using for LAMP development
when I'm not at home is an old Thinkpad my previous employer didn't
even want back.  It's a 700 MHz P3 with a 9 GB drive and 265 MB of ram
on which I installed Gentoo with Fluxbox as a window manager and all
the stuff I needed for development.

I initially set it up almost as a joke to see how it would go.
Amazingly it's more than usable.  Upgrades can take pretty long, and I
occasionally have to wipe /usr/portage/distfiles while it's going
because I run low on disk :D.

Talk about breathing new life into a machine.

Tom