[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Jul 1 03:01:59 UTC 2009

> I agree gentoo install (in the past) is a bit rough. Once you get it
> going, emerge is MUCH better than packages. I've run several distros
> (and still do) and gentoo is much easier to manage in the long run. I
> always have dependency problems with RPM and the like.

I agree about the log haul - I've just updated to new hardware after
running Gentoo stable for 6 years, 3 of those with MythTV by updating
every few weeks.

The new box was started with a stage 3 install, then I just had to import
the old world file and I had a basic clone of the old machine but now 64
rather than 32 bit. 733 packages does take a while to compile but I think
15 hours isn't too long to wait if its going to last as long as the old
one.

--
Robin Gilks