[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings, new card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 30 05:38:06 UTC 2009

On 01/29/2009 08:23 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:06:50PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 01/29/2009 06:06 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>>> I'm guessing because the programid field is not empty, the scheduler
>>> is using this information in preference to the subtitle info - and
>>> determining that there are 2 unique showings of "Beating the Bully" to
>>> be recorded.
>>>
>> Yes.  If programid is present on both episodes, it is the final
>> authority, regardless of specified duplicate matching method.
>>
> Based on my setup, I can get 2 copies of the same show recording
> at the same time just if the description is a little different.

If the shows have the exact same programid (and by that I mean /both/
shows), the subtitle and description can be completely different and
Myth /knows/ that they're the same episode.  Myth will /never/ record
the exact same episode /at two different times/ unless you disable
duplicate checking.

If the shows air at the /exact same time/, however, it's not a duplicate
matching thing.  It's a bug in Myth where two shows airing at the exact
same time on 2 different channels (meaning 2 different callsigns) both
get recorded.

> Although I get this because I am using 2 different programming
> sources. Despite the fact that the "human readable" information
> about the stations are the same, they are treated as unique
> entities.
>
> I wonder if this isn't something related to the (schedules direct)
> data that could be fixed with cleaning and normalization.

Nope.  Data is irrelevant.  You can change the callsigns of the 2
channels to be the same(assuming their content is "substantially
identical"--which, IMHO, should mean exactly identical) and it will only
record one copy.  Or, you can fix Myth.  There's probably even a ticket
for it, but I don't feel like looking it up (as I'm hungry for dinner
and it's midnight, now).

Mike