[mythtv-users] Cheapest MacBook now VDPAU-compatible

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:04:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Douglas Mayle <dmayle at dmayle.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> ah, it was definitely before 2005!
>>
>> so I decided to go to the web page for the new Macbooks, looks like
>> they have mini-DisplayPort, *not* mini-DVI, there is a *big*
>> difference!!
>>
>> Does anyone know if the Macbook mini-displayport connector/nvidia
>> chipset is capable of multichannel LPCM output (regardless of where it
>> was obtained from)?
>
> This isn't quite answering your question, but while DisplayPort supports it,
> even if the Mac sends audio over those lines, (which is probable, given the
> apple cinema display's speakers) there isn't currently an adaptor that
> carries the audio lines out in any format (the only mini-display port
> adapters on the market are for vga or dvi)

according to google, MDP->HDMI connectors are coming from such places
as monoprice (which is where I stop looking =P

again, I don't require it to work *now*, i want the option of it all
working at some point. No one saw VDPAU coming as soon as it did, but
then it appeared, I'm hoping similar happens with Blu-Ray playback and
would like a laptop capable of the basic features (HDMI output with
LPCM audio that I can connect to my, or a friends receiver that
supports HDMI and LPCM).

my fear is that the nvidia graphics chip, or some part of Apple's
implementation of hardware won't let it work when the software catches
up...

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff