[mythtv-users] Netbooks and other little hardware, was: Hardware databases

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 28 20:25:48 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 13:00:03 you wrote:

> > Interesting. I have one of those Aspire Ones, but I never even
> > thought about
> > using it for Myth, or any part of Myth. I just assumed it was too
> > underpowered.
>
> I find that kind of amusing... I used to use a Cobalt Qube as a Myth
> backend (AMD K6II-3 at something like 350Mhz).  As long as you're
> doing the necessary heavy lifting in hardware you don't need too much...

That's a Qube 3. I have one of those, as well as a Qube 2, which is MIPS
powered. Neither has any graphics hardware though.

You can upgrade the CPU on the Qube 3, if you can find a chip. The special RAM
for the Qube 2 is getting hard to find, and costly if you do find it. You can
buy an entire PC for what 512MB will cost you.

Backends, maybe, but certainly not F/E material.

I also have a MIPS-powered Netbook machine:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ALPHA-400&cat=NBB

Fun to play with, and a very handy, and cheap, little machine for web and mail
etc. Once I got an SSH client onto it it became very useful, but I'd not try
Myth on it, the soldered-on 128MB is limiting.

Although I have the Eee and the Aspire One the little MIPS machine is what I
tote around. Smaller, lighter, better battery life and it only uses 4.5
watts, so very green.

Do you get the idea I'm a hardware junkie?

--
beww
beww at beww.org