[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:47:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com
> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 8:47 AM, jedi wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:22:21AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
>>
>>> How about we just ask users to fill in what hardware does not work. I
>>> would bet that over 90% of hardware will work...
>>>

>>   Something that should be very prominent on the front page of the
>> wiki is something that addresses the basic question of "what hardware
>> should I run?".
>>

> More than the Hardware link on the front page of the wiki?
>
>  The hardware that's proven itself to other users should
>> be front and center there. Something like a "popularity contest" for
>> components and perhaps a "hall of shame" as well.
>>

> I don't think it's fair since some hardware works well for some people and
> other works better for others. I think it's better to stay objective and
> list all hardware and facts about the hardware. Like what exists on the
> wiki.
>
> The only suggestion I would make is to add a Subcategory of Recommended
> Cards (at the same level as the Analog, HDTV and MPEG capture card
> subcategories) that would simply list all cards that are known to be fully
> supported.
>
> Again, I feel like the wiki should be the place to send people when they
> are looking for hardware and it's up to all of us to add out known good
> working hardware to it and to be objective about how well it works for you.

I agree with this type of approach. With hardware in linux, you can often
get things to work, but it may take a lot of work and there may be very few
people using it that can help. I want to know what is fully working, and
what is working with default drivers and requires the least hacking on my
part. The tuner/video cards that are most popular and the best supported is
what is most useful to those seeking new hardware.