[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 27 20:20:55 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 11:21:37 Richard Thomas wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
> > Please, no! In the UK, we already have street after street and many
> > blocks of flats disfigured by Sky dishes, one per dwelling. At least
> > cable, well 90% of it, goes underground.
>
> If only... Here in the US, everything seems to go above ground. The
> semi-picturesque town I live in is blighted by poles hung with
> telephone, electric, cable and who-knows-what running down every street.
> An additional secondary effect is when they butcher trees which have the
> temerity to grow to reach these eyesores. Of course, then you get a
> storm and other trees fall over on the wires anyway...
>
> Sorry, rant over :)

Underground utilities cost a lot more to install and maintain than overhead
ones. Ask the average person if they are willing to pay more for their house
to have utilities underground and guess what they will say.

They can be a bear to maintain, especialy in areas where it snows a lot. Try
finding one of those little  pedestals in a bunch of snowdrifts.

Of course in L.A., where it rarely snows, you have to use a torch (american
meaning) to kill all of the black widows in the pedestal before you can
safely work.

--
beww
beww at beww.org