[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:25:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> No one is denying Jean's work.  I think it's great.  But don't expect the
> -devs to support every backport of a development feature to a stable
> revision.  The people that want this should know plain and simply in no
> uncertain terms that what they're running is outside the scope of MythTV.
> And this isn't "my stance" in any official capacity.  I'm just saying that I
> get why the ticket was closed and why it shouldn't have needed a big
> explanation.  Jean knew what he was doing and I'm sure he did it all with
> the best of intentions.  It just wasn't the proper place for tracking issues
> with his patch.

Big explanation?  Sure, but how about some explanation?

Jean, I (for one) salute you!  Thank you for your efforts.  I saw the
original post before anybody had a chance to reply and I thought...Oh boy,
this is going to cause s sh*t storm (despite the fact that you took great
pains to make your intentions clear).  I agree with people who are
scratching their heads asking "what kind of open source project is this?".

To me the issue is much more about the relationship with the community.

I've never seen anybody show anything but the utmost respect for developers
(although I'm sure there are cases, but they are IMHO a minority) and yet
users seem to be often treated as ungrateful whiners.  It is certainly my
impression that the developer group here has a certain degree of contempt
for the users (or even the more casual developers) and that is unfortunate.
Closing Jean's ticket without any explanation?  Who acts that way?  Now, is
this contempt real?  I don't know.  If not, it makes the perception all the
more sad.

One final note...this thread has gotten so long that people aren't reading
the whole thing.  Jean never implied that the developers should incorporate
his changes into the code base.  So please stop accusing him of that.  The
only thing he wanted was a single ticket in the Trac site to help him keep
track of issues related to his self-proclaimed unofficial patch.

--
Mike