[mythtv-users] hdpvr recording o byte files

john jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:38:09 UTC 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Eppo Eppleston wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM, john <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have two very early models: a "rev c1" and a "rev c2".  The c1 was
> the very first version, and does not have any cooling at all.  The
> c2 is the c1 with a fan added to it.  I have had the c1 for over
> seven months and the c2 for almost 6.  In that time I have had to
> power-cycle them (to fix a recording problem) a total 5 times.  They
> have been very reliable.
>
> While Myth's support is still in flux, it has also been very
> reliable for recording.  There are occasional issues with playback,
> but recording is solid.  I have missed recording from time to time,
> but it has never been because of Myth's HD-PVR module -- mythbackend
> occasionally goes out to lunch for other reasons.
>
> I am running Myth trunk from around two weeks ago.  I believe I am
> running firmware 1.035.  I am using the linux HD-PVR driver from a
> couple of months ago, but I don't think much has changed since then.
>
> My point is, that while it is possible there is a problem in myth,
> it is not likely.
>
> I do remember people having trouble with their USB ports.  You may
> want to try plugging the HD-PVR into a different USB port.  If you
> have other USB devices, you may want to try unplugging them, to make
> sure they are somehow not interfering with the HD-PVR.
>
> What else is happing when the recording fails?  Is the CPU or disk
> under heavy load?  The HD-PVR recorder makes use of Myth's input
> ringbuffer, but that will only save a recording for a few seconds of
> heavy load.  You can increase the size of the ringbuffer by upping
> the value defined in mythtv-setup (be careful not to run out of RAM).
>
> Of course, make sure you have applied the patches recommended on the
> wiki.
>
> Good luck.
>

> John
>
> its good to speak with someone that has experience with the HDPVR.
> ok, first thing is the firmware, all i did was hook it up to a
> windows box, and install the software, and i used to to configure it
> and capture some video to test it. do i need to upgrade the firmware?

That would have automatically upgraded the firmware if it was
necessary.  I assume you downloaded the latest software from Hauppauge
when you did this.

> also, i thought those patches were currently incorporated into the
> current build?

Then you must not have read the wiki.

> if not, what is the command to apply the patch? and you apply it
> before you run configure/make?
> hopefully that info should help out.

If you don't know how to apply patches, then you probably should not
be trying to run TRUNK.  The development version of Myth is completely
unsupported.  If you are not a contributer towards the project, you
will get no support with problems related to the TRUNK branch.  This
does not mean you have to be a programmer contributing code, but it
does mean that you need to have knowledge of how all the pieces work.
You need to be able to understand the logs, and know how to generate
BT to help the developers solve segmentation faults.

If you are purely a "user", the development version of Myth should be
avoided at all cost.  Running TRUNK will constantly frustrate you with
various bugs and crashes.  You are much better off using 0.21-fixes
and waiting for 0.22 to come out.

John