[mythtv-users] ext4 vs XFS for mythbuntu

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 20:17:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Gareth Glaccum
<gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> ---- Original Message ----- From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> My ext3 system took 65 days. :-(
>>> Lost a couple of recordings in the end.
>>>
>> Are you serous? I can not believe this. And I complain when it takes 3
>> minutes. Although I only use ext3 on a minimal bases.
>
> One of the reasons I am seriously considering moving to ext4, even it is a
> little experimental. A lot of the time was spent searching for duplicate
> inode declarations. With ext3, every inode is searched, every block. With
> ext4, block groups are supposedly marked as either not-in-use or in-use,
> which should have reduced that search time somewhat.
> The array was ~50% full, total 3Tb.

I can say the few times I have run fsck on ext4dev ( stuck using a
2.6.26 kernel for openvz containers), the fsck was fast however my
largest ext4 filesystem is 75GB and that one is full of mostly 5GB
files. BTW, no data loss to speak of. Although it did lock up the
machine once when I was resizing a ext4 filesystem that had a
virtualbox container on it that the os in the guest was in use and
installing 50 or so updates. After the hard reboot. All was well I
went back and the updates were not in effect but their was no apparent
corruption. I did complete the online resize before I used the
filesystem this time...

John