[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1600 will pick up channels in scan but wont show analog video

Russ Chambliss, Jr. accidentalgamer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 03:09:21 UTC 2009

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Russ Chambliss, Jr.
> <accidentalgamer at gmail.com <mailto:accidentalgamer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have recently run into a problem that i am at a loss with, and i
>     was hoping someone out there might be able to help.  Im currently
>     running a knoppmyth 5.5 and using a Hauppauge 1600 card.  I was able
>     to get the system set up and running with analog cable on the analog
>     tuner, and digital over the air broadcasts on the digital tuner.   I
>     found that my cable company brodcasts anumber of digital chanels
>     unencrypted and so I tried to set up the digital tuner to pull in
>     unscrambled channels.  I unplugged the cable line to the analog side
>     and plugged it in to the digital tuner.  After fooling around for a
>     while with the setup trying to scan for channels, i gave up on
>     trying pull in the digital cable so i switched the cables back to
>     the original configuration and restarted myth.
>     ...Through out all of this my digital tuner has no problems, im able
>     to watch over the air broadcasts.  The analog tuner will pick up all
>     of the cable channels when i scan in mythtv-setup, but will not
>     display anything when i try to watch the tuner in mythtv.  The only
>     thing i can think to do at this point is reinstall knoppmyth, but im
>     not really sure that will solve the problem, and i dont really want
>     to go through all that trouble.
>
> After a reboot - what does dmesg | grep cx18 show?
>

>I have a different Hauppauge analog/digital card in which the systems
>share the tuner, so it's one or the other.  Is your digital channel
>active all the time - eg to get EIT stuff?  Does analog work if you
>disable digital?

I haven't had a problem before with the analog and digital running at the
same time.  Ill disable the digital and see if that makes a difference.  I
did delete both tuners and set them up again, but that didnt have any
affect.

Here is the dmesg:

$ dmesg | grep cx18
cx18:  Start initialization, version 1.0.4
cx18-0: Initializing card #0
cx18-0: Autodetected Hauppauge card
cx18-0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 2)
cx18-0: cx23418 revision 01010000 (B)
cx18-0: Autodetected Hauppauge HVR-1600
cx18-0: Raw VBI supported; Sliced VBI is not yet supported
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx18 i2c driver #0-1)
cs5345 0-004c: chip found @ 0x98 (cx18 i2c driver #0-0)
cx18-0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPEG (64 x 32 kB)
DVB: registering new adapter (cx18)
cx18-0: DVB Frontend registered
cx18-0: Registered DVB adapter0 for TS (32 x 32 kB)
cx18-0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (16 x 128 kB)
cx18-0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (60 x 17328 bytes)
cx18-0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM audio (256 x 4 kB)
cx18-0: Initialized card #0: Hauppauge HVR-1600
cx18:  End initialization
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-cpu.fw firmware (158332 bytes)
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-apu.fw firmware V00120000 (141200 bytes)
cx18-0: FW version: 0.0.74.0 (Release 2007/03/12)
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-dig.fw firmware (16382 bytes)