[mythtv-users] Multi-gigabyte shared r/w partitions

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:02:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Richard Thomas <rich at dicksonlife.com>wrote:

> I think in such a situation, I'd put the Windows machine in a VM on the
> Linux box. Though since my Myth box is a dedicated DVR, I have a separate
> system for Windows type stuff anyway. I can understand that that's not
> always practical for every situation though.

That's what I've done.  I use Virtualbox to run a XP session on my myth
frontend - and have Netflix Silverlight installed on that.  The XP session
can access the linux data drive via SMB, or you can use the 'shared folder'
functionality of Virtualbox (I use SMB since I already had shares set up).
It works well for me - I get a little tearing on the video, but it's not
that bad.  That way I can just ALT-TAB between mythfrontend, and my XP
session for netflix.