[mythtv-users] MCE remote & LIRC on Debian Etch

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:35:05 UTC 2009

> which indicates to me that /dev/lirc0 does not exist, and I'm not sure why,
> or how to figure out why.  Has anyone had success working with this how-to?

well, does the device exist?  is the module loaded?  i assume that
you've setup the lircd.conf because i don't think the module will load
properly without it.  i'm on debian using the mce remote and one way
to get some debug is to run lircd in nodaemon mode so it doesn't fork
to the background.

so, /usr/local/sbin/lircd -n --device=/dev/lirc0 should give you some
debugging info.  if you're installing from source then there is an
lircd.conf for the mce remote in

/usr/src/lirc-0.8.x/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb.  i just dropped
that into /etc and called it lircd.conf, loaded lirc_mceusb2 and it
just worked.

also lirc is crazy in that if the log file gets too big lircd will
refuse to run and give some cryptic warning so you might want to look
at the log file and rm if necessary...

hope that helps :)