[mythtv-users] Why doesn't 'delete recording' actually mean 'delete recording'?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 21 15:47:26 UTC 2009

On 01/21/2009 08:48 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 21/01/2009, ryan patterson wrote:
>>  I don't want to debate the usefulness of this "feature".  Personally I
>>  find it to be annoying and counter intuitive.  But I understand many
>>  people could prefer it this way.  Is there a way to disable the fake
>>  delete feature?  Or is there a easy way to figure out how much space
>>  my "deleted but not yet really deleted" recordings take up?
> There is an option in TV Settings in mythfrontend that will let you
> disable this functionality.

Auto Expire Instead of Delete Recording
Instead of deleting a recording, move recording to the 'Deleted'
recgroup and turn on autoexpire.

in mythfrontend settings under General.  Oh, and the default value for
that setting is false, which means that the person who finds it
"annoying and counter intuitive" must have...

You may also want to check:

Delete files slowly
Some filesystems use a lot of resources when "deleting large recording
files.  This option makes Myth delete the file slowly on this backend to
lessen the impact.

in mythtv-setup in the General settings if you really need "delete
recording" to mean "delete recording /right now/."

Oh, and even if you enable "Auto Expire Instead of Delete Recording,"
you can always go into Watch Recordings or Delete Recordings, change the
filter to show the Deleted recording group, select the Deleted recording
group (left column), hit MENU (usually 'M'), "Add this Group to the
Playlist", MENU, Playlist Options, Delete, and--since the recordings are
/already/ in the Deleted recording group, they will be deleted (i.e.
you'll "empty the recycle bin"/"empty the trash"/"compact the folder"/...).

Really, though, there's no need to delete recordings when you get low on
space.  Just ensure that you have some (sufficient number) of them set
to allow autoexpire and Myth will take care of getting rid of them for
you, but not until you need it to.  If you also use:

Automatically mark a recording as watched
If set, when you exit near the end of a recording it will be marked as
watched. The automatic detection is not foolproof, so do not enable
thissetting if you don't want an unwatched recording marked as watched.

(or manually mark shows as watched when you're done) and [Autoexpire]:

Watched before UNwatched
If set, programs that have been marked as watched will be expired before
programs that have not been watched.

Myth will generally always get rid of the right shows for you.

Note that for "Automatically mark a recording as watched," if you're
using any kind of exit prompt (where you say whether to delete or keep a
show or set a bookmark on exit), you'll need the patch at
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5910 .  (Or, you can just manually
mark shows as watched.)

Mike