[mythtv-users] Fedora 10 and networking

John Payne mythtv at payne.ch
Wed Jan 21 09:11:13 UTC 2009

John Payne wrote:
> Andrew Allison wrote:

>>> I believe you have to get rid of NetworkManager.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> That's one of a couple of issues I've been having with Fedora 10 :-)
>>
>> I removed NetworkManager and have a working dhcp network now, haven't
>> been brave enough to try and configure a static ip again.

> I've got the same problems with the new MythDora10.21, which uses
> Fedora10. I removed NetworkManager (learned that with MD5 & Fedora 8),
> but I find that very often on startup ifconfig eth0 shows everything
> OK with the correct static IP, but I'm not connected to the LAN and
> can't ping anything (network unreachable).
> ethtool eth0 also shows 'link detected'.
> Usually a reboot brings everything back, although yesterday it took a
> power-off to get everything working again.
>
> I've tried various tips relating to the ifcfg-eth0 & network contents,
> but no definite answers for this issue. I also seem to have remnants
> of ip6 - I occasionally get an inet6 address as well as the static one.
>
> I installed the latest realtek driver - not sure if the same problems
> occur with the fedora driver. I need the latest updated driver so I
> can use wake-on-lan and with that I've often found that although the
> wakeup works (is network is connected) there is no LAN connection
> after startup.
>
> John

Fixed it!
after unsuccessfully trying nearly all the tips I found I finally
updated NetworkManager (to
NetworkManager-0.7.0-1.git20090102.fc10.src.rpm), reactivated the NM
service (and deactivated the network service) and reactivated
'Controlled by NetworkManager' in the system-config-network applet  and
everything works -  cold start, reboot and wake-on-lan, with static IP

John