[mythtv-users] IPTV

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:36:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Jasper Stolte <jasperstolte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>> Other then specs, seeing is believing, I do have a 19' TV with build-in
>> DVB-T tuner and it looks A LOT BETTER then what I've seen in their Shop from
>> IPTV, it was horrible.

You have a nineteen foot television?  Wow!  Even 1920 x 1080p
stretched to 19 feet doesn't look very detailed.  :-)

> There can be many reasons why you had this experience. It seems to me that
> they probably messed up their IPTV setup in the store somehow. Either way,
> IPTV does not use inferior technology to Digitenne so with double the
> bandwidth IPTV should provide superior image quality.

IPTV transmits a digital signal just like any other digital TV system
(ATSC, QAM, DVB-T, DVB-S, etc.).  Assuming you receive the whole
signal there should be no difference in picture quality between the
different digital TV technologies.   The picture quality is determined
by the source feed and the bitrate your service provider uses.  It is
entirely possible for an IPTV signal to look horrible.  It is entirely
possible for any digital TV signal to look horrible (even worse the
analog).

True IPTV systems should be capable of providing higher bitrates per
channel (when compared to the other digital TV technologies).  That
should translate into better picture quality.  But that is all theory.
 It is like saying FedEx delivers nicer packages then UPS.  Both
services deliver whatever package enters the system on the other end.
If you order something cheap it will still be cheap when the FedEx guy
hands it to you.  I am sure many IPTV service providers will choose to
downgrade the picture quality if it saves them money.