[mythtv-users] Direct PCI RF Modulators -SD and even HD?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 05:31:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone used anything like these:
>
> http://www.computermodules.com/broadcast/DVB-T-Modulators.shtml
>
> I am aware of modulators that take an AV signal in, the ones I tested worked variably, none did great stereo separation.
>
> The potential benefit to me is that one should be able to get a high quality RF output so that one could simultaneously watch the
> same thing in multiple rooms on the same RF channel, hopefully with good stereo also?  This may be a poor mans "Follow-me" however
> it might take less to setup and yet be reliable?

Personally I can only be in one room at once, and when I need another
beer I use "pause" :-)

> I also note that they do "Pulls transport streams from hard drive via PCI bus or from BNC connector on bracket. Both IF and RF
> output available. "  Would this mean a video card would not be necessary to view myth frontend from?

if you have a TV or stb that can tune dvb-t or -c then presumably it
can watch whatever you are running into the card.

However the card requires a mpeg-ts input. while your recordings may
be stored as mpeg-ts (depending on your tv source), the rest of the
front end experience (menuing, choosing what to watch, etc) isn't.

frankly i'd think networked regular front ends would work as well,
except are hard to co-ordinate if you really want every room
synchronised. OTOH you can all watch something different using a
regular networked frontend instead of a clone of one central frontend.

linuxmce (which uses myth at its core) advertises "follow me" as a feature.

> Again I am not sure but it seems possible that HD can also be injected in the local RF Coax for viewing on HD capable tuning
> screens?

the info says the cards max out at 45Mbps which is more than enough
for HD video.

> I have not figured out how to do remote control from the other rooms that do not have the mythTV box that is broadcasting the RF.

myth is controllable by telnet, and there are also iphone apps which
control it over wifi. Also an RF remote might work. There are also
remote control relay devices available.