[mythtv-users] Does your wireless work better than mine?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 03:31:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 19:39:24 John Drescher wrote:
>> > You have very little chance of getting HD streaming over wireless.
>> > Most people on the list won't even help you with problems you might be
>> > having once they hear about the wireless.
>>
>> I have had no problems with streaming HD football the few times I have
>> tried it. Over wireless G.
>
> I think the bottom line is that it works for some and not for others. There
> are so many variables, and things like moving an antenna an inch or 2 might
> make a large difference, that it is hard to pin the problem(s) down.
>
> RF is very subject to the environment, both the RF and the physical
> envoronment.
>
> My guess is that people for whom it works will not be able to successfully
> tell others how to make it so, because they may not even be aware of the
> differences between the working and non-working systems.

Thanks to all that have answered so far. I appreciate the info.

I'm guessing that when it comes to wireless, there's wireless and then
there's wireless. I am currently typing this email on the laptop using
it's internal wireless networking. I'm sitting no more than 3 feet
from the wireless access point on the HDHR end of the network. I
cannot receive 1080i even right here, but that's assuming that the PC
communicates directly with access point which is probably not a good
assumption.

So to test that idea I am now sitting 1-2 feet from the router's
antennas. Still no go. The picture is totally messed up. However if I
plug a wire into the switch that's right here then it works great. So:

WAP -> router -> switch == good
WAP -> router -> PC Wifi ==fail

Note that for the most part what I'm talking about here is 1080i
failures. While I've not done much testing - just got the HDHR 2 days
ago and got first video yesterday - it seems that 480i / 480p type
material gets through OK.

Possibly this is as much about the router's ability to buffer the data
as is it about transmission and reception?

Again, thanks for the ideas and info.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. - To Delphi RE - I will likely contact you over the next day or
two. Thanks!