[mythtv-users] VDPAU blows up video card, film at 11

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 19 02:47:08 UTC 2009

On Sunday 18 January 2009 18:57:28 John Drescher wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Bill Stewart <wstewart at hgrace.com> wrote:
> >> VDPAU can in fact damage a card if it overheats.
> >
> > If it does and its not a bad fan I would be seeking a warranty
> > replacement as I consider this a manufacturer defect.
>
> Wait a minute a bad fan should be covered...

A lof of graphics cards have cooling only on the main chip, not the RAM. I'd
wonder if this is what over-heated (if in fact that's what happened)?

Some cards do heatsink the RAM chips, but perhaps not as well as they should.

In any case I would not like to see this card returned with a replacement
claim, we don't want to discourage nVidia from sharing what they are with us.
If any dev needs a card to play with I (and probably others here) would want
to make sure he has it.

I wonder how the load placed on the GPU by VDPAU compares with the load from
modern games.

--
beww
beww at beww.org