[mythtv-users] YAAT: Yet Another Audio Thread...

Jim Cuzella TrinitronX at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 14:45:44 UTC 2009

Andrew Close wrote:
> ok, i've started composing this email about a dozen times now but
> always managed to find one more thing via Google, the archives, or
> somewhere that kept me from sending it.  well, now i'm sending it. :)
> i'm pretty much stuck in my setup of this new MythBox.  the only thing
> keeping me from sticking it into production is sound, or lack of.  i
> think i've tried everything (everything i know to try anyway), but
> still no sound.  i 'did' initially have sound out of the 'line-out'
> mini speaker jack, but wasn't satisfied with that since this system is
> hooked up directly to my Denon 3808 AVR.
>
> here's the details:
> Asus P5E-VM HDMI Mobo with Realtek ALC883 8 channel HDA sound onboard
> + coaxial S/PDIF
> you can see more details about the hardware here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Aclose
>
> [... Snip ...]
>
> aclose at MythBoxHD:~$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In my scoring the net due to my own ALC888 related problem, I've seen a
bunch of people mentioning that they are having problems with S/PDIF
audio out on this card with the current snd_hda_intel drivers.  Although
I myself do not have S/PDIF testing capability, I can point you in the
right direction perhaps.  Here is a list of threads to watch (all are
from alsa-users mailing list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg19242.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg22322.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg24198.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg24165.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg23259.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg23478.html
> as mentioned above, i have had sound out of the 'line-out' jack but
> was hoping to get everything working via S/PDIF.  i know this isn't a
> Myth specific issue since, at the moment, i have no audio. :)  but i
> also know that several people on this list have similar setups and may
> be able to straighten me out.  ;)
>
> thanks for any help, pointers, etc...

Were you getting sound OUT of the line-in jack??  Is this jack you're
talking about the blue or the green colored one?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to do some audio jack remapping.
 I've got a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard with onboard ATI SB 700
southbridge & an ATI "Azalia" (Intel HDA) onboard audio powered by the
Realtek ALC888.
This ALC chip should support "jack retasking", which works in windows
through their proprietary drivers... but so far I have had no luck
getting it working in linux.

Why do I want "jack retasking"?  Well, I've no S/PDIF compatible
equipment, and want 4 channel audio to work.  There are 3 jacks on the
back of my board: L/R Front out (green), Line-in (blue), Mic in (red).
And 2 on the front panel: Mic in (red) & headphone L/R front out
(green).  As you can see... some of these would need to be retasked to
support 4/5.1/7.1 channel audio output.  The Realtek chip supports
this... but it seems the snd_hda_intel drivers might not.... or I just
don't know how to configure this yet.

In conclusion,  it seems that currently there are some problems with
certain ALC88* chipsets and the snd_hda_intel drivers which will
eventually be fixed (so I hope :-) ).  I'm also having problems on mine
when recording things through the mic or line-in jacks, it's always
giving me crackly audio.

Hope this helps,
- Jim C.