[mythtv-users] OT: mATX HTPC cases with LCD/VFD

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:10:20 UTC 2009

2009/1/16 jr <jraymyth at gmail.com>

> I have been doing general upgrades to my home theater and have come to
> the conclusion that my current no-name case is butt-ugly.  Ideally, I
> would like a case that fits with the black component look of the rest
> of my components, that has a mATX footprint, VFD/LCD display and
> navigation buttons on the front.  I would like to avoid those
> over-bright displays, as well as those blue on blue VFDs that you
> cannot read from a distance. I have an opportunity to purchase a LC-14
> for $50.  Unfortunately, it is full ATX and lacks a LCD/VFD.  For $50
> it is tempting to spring for the VFD and deal with the size, but I
> thought I would ping you guys for opinions.  Any opinions?

I am strugling through building my first mythtv frontend. I purchased an
Antec Micro Fusion 350 case. The case is nice and small and it has a front
LCD display and remote. The case looks quite nice and is a good size for a
micro atx board. The remote is terribly small with only a few buttons and
the LCD display is pretty cheap. It arrived damaged (the LCD was separated
from the backlight) It appears to be held together with doubleded
tape/sticky stuff and won't stay together. The display went back to the
store today.

The power supply has also just died so I am less than impressed so far.
Perhaps I bought the bad one and no one else has had a bad experience but
have not been impressed so far.

I have also not been able to get the display or the remote working with
mythbuntu but expect that is my lack of experience...

Cheers

Phil