[mythtv-users] TV Connections

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 16 02:09:41 UTC 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009 18:19:15 Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If my TV accepts a VGA or HDMI connection is there a reason to prefer one
> > over the other? I realize that from a wire perspective HDMI rolls it all
> > into a single wire but will there be any performance lost from a video
> > perspective from one to the other?

> HDMI will be a cleaner, digital signal, versus VGA being analog.  Both
> may overscan depending on your television but if you have any hope of
> eliminating overscan it will be on HDMI.  HDMI will carry audio.  In
> short, unless you have a reason not to, use HDMI.
>
> HDMI is 19 pins (4 than DB15), by the by, not just one.

At least some LCD sets (my HiSense for one) give you a lot more control of the
picture size and geometry with the VGA input, as opposed to the DVI input.

Theoretically the digital signal should be better than the analog VGA, as you
said, but in my case the difference isn't worth worrying about.

--
beww
beww at beww.org