[mythtv-users] recent ubuntu update breaking "use video as timebase"?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 15 23:30:20 UTC 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've got a long term stable MythTV box in which something weird
> happened recently, that I still can't explain.  I'm running MythTV
> 0.21-fixes on Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit).  Ubuntu was lamenting about some
> packages that were out of date, long out of date, that needed
> updating.  A couple of hundred.  I try not to upgrade the box often
> because stuff like this happens.  Anyway, after the upgrade, all my
> recordings played back as though they were Alvin and Chipmunks, sped
> up a little bit and higher pitch.  The files on the drive were just
> fine (checked through MPlayer), but in Myth stuff was decidely
> strange.  Video was sped up too.
>
> I tried fiddling settings, and finally found that if I switched off
> "use video as timebase" it would play back as normal.
>
> I've been running MythTV with the same database since May 2003, so I
> have no idea when or why I turned this setting on or if I'll suffer
> adverse effects because of it.
>
> So, now I'm left with 2 questions:
>
> 1. What advantage is there to using video as timebase? (or What am I
> missing without it?)  According to the wikified user manual the
> default is off, but there is no additional information.
> 2. Did this happen to anyone else?
>
> Maybe if someone else got stung by this, this message could help
> some.  Or maybe my setup is just strange.

It's an experimental feature (as it says in the help text when you
select it). I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if something says
experimental (especially in MythTV) you can pretty much be guaranteed
it will not work at some point. :)

I believe use video as timebase was implemented for people who were
having problems with audio being out of sync. Since you don't have
that problem, off is good.

-Brad