[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX w/ MPEG2 hw accel

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 15 00:23:57 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 16:58:02 Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
wrote:
> >The D201GLY2 has XvMC and is running totally fanless (it runs for 6
> > monthes
>
> without problem).
>
> >I'm quite happy with this MOBO except that it is using a SiS chipset for
>
> which there is no driver yet on Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> >I'm stuck with 8.04 (which has locks up when bluetooth devices reconnect).
> >
> >There is NO support for OpenGL as of today.
> >
> >Pierre.
>
> Kind of a side topic, but I've run into the same problem where something
> works in one version of ubuntu, but not in the next. In fact sometimes it
> seems like they fix something that did not work in version 1, so that it
> works in version 2, but then again in version 3 it is no longer working.
> How is this possible? I've noticed this with the various ubuntu installs.
>
> People say the same thing about Vista vs XP, but Vista was totally
> redesigned after XP. I don't think ubuntu 8.10 was totally redesigned from
> 8.04 or 7.10 or 7.04.

I don't think Vista was quite the major re-design that MS claims, but no
matter.

Newer Ubuntu releases incorporate newer kernels, and some things that need
hooks into the kernel get broken.

I really wish we could go back to the "developmental" and "stable" kernel
versions like we used to, they seem to keep breaking things when
they "improve" the kernel. This is why systems that need stability these days
sometimes use 2.4 series kernels.

--
beww
beww at beww.org