[mythtv-users] Start MythTV on Display I want (and if not there, next one I want) -- SOLVED

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Thu Jan 15 00:02:46 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I was suggesting to remove the UseDisplayDevice option from the Device
>> sections and add it to the "Screen 0" Screen section only. Is this what you
>> tried?
>>
>> John
>>

> That worked!  It took a couple of other changes and clean ups.  Thanks
> so much for the suggestions.  Thanks also to Nick as trying his
> suggestions led me to the Xorg.0.log file that showed me what xorg was
> actually doing so I could see both the errors I was making and the
> default things xorg would do that I could utilize to advantage.
> Basically, screen0 is asking for the resolution of the projector and
> when it isn't there, xorg uses auto, which is perfect for the TV.  It
> is asking xorg to use the projector and to use the TV when it can't
> find it per your suggestion.  This is perfect.  I set up the CRT as
> screen1 and eliminated screen2 as there can only be 2 screens at one
> time.
>
> A slight improvement would be to have the normal desktop on the LCD
> and have myth launch on Display 1 so I still have a small project to
> look forward to but it is now doing what I want and is wife friendly.
> Mission accomplished.  My xorg.conf file is below

Glad you got things going. To use the LCD as screen 0 just change the
screen 0 to use the CRT and screen 1 to use the DFP or TV as below. Once
you make that change you don't need the UseDisplayDevice options if the
LCD is always on since the CRT will always be checked first. You will
encounter the focus problem with the mouse and keyboard if you do this.

To make mythtv FE auto-startup on the right screen you need to add
"-display :0.1" to the command. If you're using mythdora then change the
command in /home/mythtv/.start_frontend to:

mythfrontend -display :0.1

If using mythbuntu you need to change /etc/mythtv/session-settings to
change MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS:

MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="-display :0.1"

Note there was a bug in /usr/share/mythtv/mythfrontend.sh that causes it
to fail when adding multi-word options.

John

--------------------xorg.conf--------------------------------

# First Screen is main screen where MythTV will go
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen1"
	Device		"Videocard0"
	Monitor		"MythMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	# this next line will be ignored with the TV and the default, auto will be used
	Option		"metamodes"	"DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP-0, TV-0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

# Second screen is LCD display
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Videocard1"
	Monitor		"LCDMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"CRT-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"CRT-0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24