[mythtv-users] Start MythTV on Display I want (and if not there, next one I want)

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 03:52:07 UTC 2009

> I don't have a good understanding of how your system is set up. Do you
> restart X each time you want to use the system? I have that impression. Is
> the LCD always on i.e. available in both cases? Can you send your whole
> xorg.conf file? What mods to the xorg.conf file have you tried?
>
> John

First to answer Nick's question:

Video card is ASUS EN6200LE TC1G/TD/512M GeForce 6200LE 512MB 64-bit
GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Deiver is 173.14.12

Now to John's:

Here is how I use the system.  Normally, myth is on the TV and the LCD
is running Firefox and the projector is off and the DVI cable is
switched to a DVD player (not myth).

When I want to use the projector, I switch it to myth and restart X.
That works great.  The LCD can still run firefox or be turned off,
whatever.

When done with the projector I switch it to the DVD player and I
restart X.  Then I exit myth on the LCD and start myth on the TV.  I
start it by using the mouse on the TV desktop and clicking on
mythfrontend, which I can't read so have to remember where it is.  We
are then back to the normal condition.  This is a pain and not
something I can expect my wife to do.

The only thing I have tried that is not represented by the xorg.conf
file is Option "ConnectedMonitor".  I tried "TV-0", "DFP" in the
display sections to near disastrous results.  I saw some Google posts
that this option doesn't work so I quit experimenting with it.  I have
past experience with the nvidia readme and know it is out of date so
decided to quit guessing at solutions and ask.

The problem is that my configuration isn't static.  The projector
comes and goes and when it is there I want it to get myth, which it
does.  When it is missing, I want the TV to get myth and instead the
LCD gets it.  I can't instruct the system to put myth anywhere
specific because what I want changes.  My goal with the xorg.conf file
below was to change the priority that the Nvidia card uses to decide
where to put the system by placing the various displays in the correct
numerical order.  Doesn't work that way.

My xorg.conf file is below.

Thanks so much for helping.

Allen

---------------------------------------------------xorg.conf--------------------------------------------------

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Videocard0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen1"
	Device		"Videocard1"
	Monitor		"Monitor1"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen2"
	Device		"Videocard2"
	Monitor		"Monitor2"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"CRT: 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Videocard0"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Vendorname	"NVIDIA Corporation"
	Boardname	"GeForce 6200 LE"
	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
        Option    "UseEvents" "True"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP"
	Screen	0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Videocard1"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Vendorname	"NVIDIA Corporation"
	Boardname	"GeForce 6200 LE"
        Option    "UseEvents" "True"
	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"TV-0"
	Screen	1
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Videocard2"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Vendorname	"NVIDIA Corporation"
	Boardname	"GeForce 6200 LE"
        Option    "UseEvents" "True"
	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"CRT"
	Screen	2
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	# generated from default
	Identifier	"Mouse0"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Protocol"	"auto"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"no"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	# generated from default
	Identifier	"Keyboard0"
	Driver		"kbd"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Layout0"
  screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
  screen 1 "Screen1" leftof "Screen0"
  screen 2 "Screen2" leftof "Screen1"
	Inputdevice	"Keyboard0"	"CoreKeyboard"
	Inputdevice	"Mouse0"	"CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load		"dbe"
	Load		"extmod"
	Load		"type1"
	Load		"freetype"
	Load		"glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
	Vendorname	"Unknown"
	Modelname	"Panasonic AX-100"
	Horizsync	28.0	-	49.0
	Vertrefresh	24.0	-	61.0
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	# HorizSync source: xconfig, VertRefresh source: xconfig
	Identifier	"Monitor1"
	Vendorname	"Unknown"
	Modelname	"TV-0"
	Horizsync	28.0	-	49.0
	Vertrefresh	24.0	-	61.0
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	# HorizSync source: xconfig, VertRefresh source: xconfig
	Identifier	"Monitor2"
	Horizsync	30.0	-	63.0
	Vertrefresh	56.0	-	75.0
	Option		"DPMS"