[mythtv-users] Mythtv installation

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Tue Jan 13 22:15:19 UTC 2009

I blew away mythtv, dropped mythconverg database and started over
again, trying to follow http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

I installed

apt-get install mythtv mythtv-doc mythweb mythmusic mythweather mythgallery mythvideo mythgame mythstream mytharchive

Then I ran mythtv-setup.

And I ran into all sorts of troubles right away. The same deja vu.

This time, I think that I am beginning to understand things a little
better. Apparently,

1) despite asking for mysql root password during apt-get install,
mythtv-setup is unable to connect to MySQL database. But it never says
so explicitly, and instead quietly fails to create "mythconverg" database,
and then of course nothing works.

OK, I can workaround this by blanking out root password.

2) I planned on running mythtv as a unprivileged user "tv" that has
minimum rights and certainly no sudo rights. This is so because I will
have guests and kids watch this TV and I do not want to give them any
access besides running in an X session.

Apparently, the Ubuntu install scripts assumes that the user running
mythtv-setup does have a privilege to run sudo. Which I sort of
understand, as it needs to stop and start mythtv-backend. And what it
really means is that this sort of work should have been done by dpkg
instead of mythtv-setup.

So what I am going to do is, delete and purge and uninstall everything
again, temporarily set mysql root password to blank (horrors!) and add
"tv" to admin group.

I will post updates on my progress.