[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Tue Jan 13 21:37:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:25:46PM -0800, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Igor, you must be doing something wrong, or there must be something unique
> about your computer hardware. I could not install any version of ubuntu
> after 7.04 on my gateway solo laptop (kind of an oldie laptop) because the
> new version of xorg was not compatible with it. Still isn't compatible with
> it, I'm hoping for them to fix it in the future. They basically killed linux
> for me on that laptop cause it can't upgrade xorg. Anyhow, there could be
> something like that going on with your computer.

Well, in my own case it is the opposite. I have Linux installed on all
sorts of laptops and desktops and it works fine.

> I was a total linux noob when I started with ubuntu 7.04 and mythtv (before
> mythbuntu was even out and you had to build lirc) and I was able to get it
> going within a few days.
>
> So it must not be mythtv that is the problem. Now it could very well be some
> basic setting during install that is giving you havoc. In fact, I had more
> trouble with alsa than with myth. The intrepid release of ubuntu has fixed
> practically all of the issues I had in the beginning, and even alsa doesn't
> give me any problems anymore.

> I would suggest that you completely remove the mysql db and even the
> installation of mysql and try to start from (or install) a vanilla install
> of intrepid. Without switching to mythbuntu, you can install the mythbuntu
> packages on top of regular ubuntu. That will take care of 99% of the config.

OK.

So, here's my plan:

1) Delete mythtv by

aptitude purge mythtv-backend  mythtv mythexport mythtv-backend-master

2) Delete mysql database:

echo drop database mythconverg | mysql -uroot -pMyPassWord

3) Delete mythtv settings:

(as root)

rm -rf /home/*/.mythtv /root/.mythtv

> The guides on the ubuntu site are very easy to follow, and being a linux
> pro, you might be skipping/breezing over some of the things (being a windows
> pro, I sure skipped/breezed over a ton of things on there, passing them off
> as rookie stuff...wasn't till I followed the directions that I got my
> install right).
>
> So I'd try that approach and post back with your first error. I've found
> that you gotta fix the first error before moving forward, or you will
> probably see more errors ahead.
>
> Also, plz post back your system specs, as that could help too.

Sounds good. I am deleting this stuff as I speak.

Could you tell me the exact page that you used to set up MythTV on
Ubuntu Intrepid, and I will try to follow it to a letter.