[mythtv-users] Silent front end power supply

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 06:52:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM, jr <jraymyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody has experience with DC-DC style power
>> supplies. I was thinking about one of these and using an external 12v
>> power brick to drive the frontend. My frontend will have no harddrive
>> (network boot), onboard graphics nvidia 8300 chipset and I am trying
>> to get hold of the amd2 4850e 45w cpu. I will also probably install a
>> DVD durner in the frontend?
>>
>> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4876&CATID=&keywords=XC-4876&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
>>
>> Thoughts/comments?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil
>>

> I am using the PW-200-M DC-DC psu in an EPIA-6000 non-Myth box at the
> moment.  I was going to use it for my raid box, but it was not quite
> powerful enough for that, though I hear other people have managed it.
> The biggest pain I had was in finding a silent-ish brick that could
> deliver 200W at 12V.  I do not know if its still a problem  finding
> them, but what I finaly got was an Xbox 360 powersupply (203W) off of
> ebay for $20.  It took little work to get things hooked up, but its
> been working for the last year without incident.
>
> If you want to know...
>
> To connect the brick to the PW-200-M I went to Wal-Mart and bought a
> Nyko Intercooler and to Radio Shack to get a Size L Coaxial DC Power
> Connector.I took the socket out of the Intercooler and soldered the DC
> power connector to the appropriate (I don't remember) connectors that
> I found with a volt meter.  If you are familiar with meter then it
> will be easy enough to find out which ports have power running through
> them.  I epoxied the socket into a hole I made in the back of my case.
>  Plugged the size L connector into the PW-200-M, plugged the brick
> into the socket from the Nyko, and voila, a live motherboard.
>

> PW-200-M - [http://www.mini-box.com/PW-200M-DC-DC-power-supply;jsessionid=0a0106521f43baeb447a504946ff81d9ef194879e6e1.e3eSc34RbhyRe34Pa38Ta38Tbhz0?sc=8&category=981
> ]
>
> Nyco Intercooler -
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5044083&sourceid=1500000000000003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5044083
>
> Size L Coaxial DC Power Connector radio shack - [
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103613 ]
>
> jr

Apparently I posed what I did...

"Looking at the plug that goes into the xbox so that the angled side
is pointing up I numbered the connections. 1 and 2 are in the narrow
horizonal slot. They must be connected before the adapter is given
power. Connections 3, 4 and 5 are numbered left to right on the next
row, and 6, 7 and 8 are numbed likewise on the bottom row. I place a
copper wedge into the horizontal slot connecting 1 and 2. I am running
a wire from 5 and 8 to a plug that fits the power socket on the
PW-200-M."