[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 02:12:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok I just tested the output from the Thermaltake power supply brick
>> and I'm getting 11V on one side (should be 12V but I figure it's fine)
>> but 25V on the other (instead of 5V!). I guess that could be the
>> issue! Seems to me these Thermaltake power supplies are junk. Guess
>> I'll try something else.
>>
> I assume that is with no load. You really can not test switching power
> supplies with no load applied.

My bad. I had the multimeter set to ac whereas it's a dc output. The
voltages are fine. It still won't spin up the new 1TB SATA drive OR
the old 750GB IDE drive but they both work fine when the power is
supplied by a motherboard. This behavior is much like the problem I
had with the Accomdata enclosure I started with (ie: dc voltage output
looks fine but won't spin the drive up). I guess I'll try Thermaltake
support to see what might be causing this. Maybe I have really bad
spikes in my power or something.

I went ahead and purchased another external enclosure from Fry's
(http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/212) and the 1TB
SATA drive is running fine now. We'll see how long this power supply
lasts...