[mythtv-users] Cheap front end?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 10 15:05:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 09 January 2009 23:22:40 John Drescher wrote:
> > Fishing around on newegg, found this....
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108197
> >
> > I'm not in the market, but it looks like it has an AGP slot so a 5200
> > video card is possible....
> >
> > For $150 it would make a good FE....
>
> Only for analog. As far as cpu performance I would compare it to the
> VIA offerings however this will use 3 times the power.
>
> As far as cpus go you will be much better off with an Atom. Or any
> 65nm  Intel or AMD dual core clocked at the lowest power saving mode
> 100% of the time.
>
> The case is not bad though. I mean some cases go for more than that...

If you were going to run Myth on the box, there's no need to pay for Windows.
You can get the same sort of thing cheaper with no OS:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBMNVPIV26-2B&cat=SYS

But I agree it would strictly be an SD machine, and not very power efficient.

Machines in the P4 class are pretty cheap these days, but for a reason. They
are big, loud and power-hungry.

For an SD-only frontend you might think about an MVP

--
beww
beww at beww.org