[mythtv-users] Boxee Linux Alpha Program is now public

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jan 9 04:30:32 UTC 2009

jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Brent Norris <brent at brentnorris.net
> <mailto:brent at brentnorris.net>> wrote:
>
>     Has anyone tried Alien on the deb to convert it to rpm?
>

> It is an alpha build and currently Boxee explicitly only states that
> it is only for Ubuntu. However, if you look over in the Boxee linux
> forums there are lots of people trying to compile for various other
> distros like opensuse and centos. I don't know which have been
> successful but that would be a good place to see if anybody has had
> progress with other distros.

The problem with using alien is a lot of the dependencies have different
names in RPM-based distributions.

I tried building it on OpenSUSE 11.1 but didn't get very far.  The
source code tree is not in very good shape for porting.  They include a
lot of library source code trees wholesale, and then configure them on
the fly during the make stage, which makes problems with the configure
script options hard to sort out.  I eventually got everything to build,
but then it failed in the linker stage, apparently because it didn't
like my libGL.

I'm going to install Ubuntu on my desktop machine and try it out there.
If it works well enough it might be worth switching my main Myth box to
Mythbuntu.