[mythtv-users] backends without tuners (was Re: Transcoding is being done on frontends, not backend)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 9 01:26:29 UTC 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:21 PM, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:

>> I am a little confused now. I was aware of the fact that tunerless
>> backends are unsupported. But in the thread that this one branch
>> from, I thought it was said that running a frontend only system
>> without a backend is also unsupported. So if only FE/BE or BE
>> systems are officially supported and only BE with tuners are
>> supported, then what is a supported FE only machine? Does this
>> actually mean that on a FE only machine we should install BE but we
>> should then take steps post install to make sure the BE doesn't
>> run, because there are no tuners? Or have misunderstood what was
>> said? This seems awfully convoluted to me.
>
> Sorry, where does it say running a frontend without a backend is
> unsupported?
>

> Mike said it at the end of the thread about transcoding on
> frontends: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365123#365123
> . He said:
>
> "Yeah, just not worth the space, and since the only supported
> configuration is an installation of both mythfrontend and mythbackend"
>
> It didn't sound right to me, so I assumed I was reading it wrong or
> confused. What does that comment mean?

Installing, not running. He said that because frontend shares
libraries with backend and no one has a package that cleanly installs
one without the other and since the space savings is negligible,
there's no incentive to. Supported method is installing both and only
running a backend when you have a tuner in the machine. The frontend
has no backend requirement other than being able to connect to the
master backend properly.

-Brad