[mythtv-users] VDPAU Current Status Report

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:32:32 UTC 2009

2009/1/7 Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> On my dev box I puchased the Sparkle 8400 PCI to try out vdpau.  I am
> somewhat disappointed.  It seem to have all kinds of kwirks just like
> XvMC does.  Hos anyone gotten reliable playback in MythTV yet?
> Mplayer seems rock solid.
>
> Here is my list or problems.
>
> 1.  De-interlacing doesnt work, most options result in prebuffering
> pauses.  Only one that somewhat works is Advanced 2x but the video is
> still jerky.

The consensus seems to be that, while video decoding has dedicated
circuitry, deinterlacing uses the 3d pipeline (i.e. shaders). Hence
older/less capable cards may struggle as their 3d performance isn't
great. I would expect you to still get reasonable performance from
bobdeint (the vdpau version that is).

> 2. Some times when started a video it wont start at all or I get a
> black screen with sound only.

Could be a resources (how much memory does your card have?), codec
(should only happen with baseline h264 - but rare), X/compositing
(there are various issues with the playback losing focus), xrandr
(xrandr/vdpau don't play)...

Probably a number of other possibilities, but without logs/tickets
etc, it won't necessarily get fixed.

> 3.  Screen flickers alot before it does play.

I've not seen this.

regards

Mark