[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Bruce Taber b.taber at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 13:52:11 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/06/2009 12:32 PM, jarpublic wrote:
>>> Are you (both those with the issue and those for whom the issue has
>>> cleared up) running gnome-screensaver?
>>>
>>> With r19222, we only run gnome-screensaver-command once every 30 seconds
>>> at most and only if gnome-screensaver is running (with prior versions,
>>> we attempted to run it on every remote keypress--whether
>>> gnome-screensaver was running or not) and it seems that either the
>>> buildup of system calls or gnome-screensaver-command itself caused the
>>> issue.  So--if it's just gnome-screensaver-command causing the
>>> problem--you could still get the delay once every 30 seconds or so, but
>>> only if you're running gnome-screensaver.

I also have this problem of occasional long delays with the remote. The
long delay logjam can usually be broken within a second or two by
keypresses on a wireless keyboard. After the keypresses break the logjam
the remote works fine for some unknown period of time. The system is not
running any screensaver. Both gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver have
been removed from the system.

The system is a separate frontend from the master backend and is running
the following version of myth.

[root at shuttle1 ~]# mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 19222M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_lirc
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw
using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live

The Nvidia card is a GeForce 7600 GX running 177.82 drivers with the
following relevant options in the Screen section.

        Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"

Multiple video driver versions have been tried with no change in
behavior. The configuration is not using opengl as the command line is:
  Exec=mythfrontend -v important -O ThemePainter=qt -l mythfrontend.log
at startup.

I have previously put in some additional verbose statements looking for
the lirc and everything seemed to be okay. Those statements have since
been removed.

Any other things to look at would be appreciated.

Bruce