[mythtv-users] Australian components

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Wed Jan 7 10:28:06 UTC 2009

Phil Wild wrote:
> 2009/1/7 John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com>:
>
>> Phil Wild wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking of going with s diskless frontend and boot over the
>>> network. Have been looking at mythbuntu as the distribution to use.
>>>

>> I have two FEs booted diskless from a Mythbuntu BE. I found the
>> Mytthbuntu Control Center diskless setup really useful in setting up the
>> BE to support diskless booting. I highly recommend Mythbuntu for
>> diskless FEs - it's certainly the most inexpensive solution for a quiet FE.
>>

> This is good to hear...
>
> Are you running these over a 100bt or 1000bt network? How long does it
> take to boot the fe?

Originally (for 6 months) they ran off 100Mb but recently I redid my
network for 1000Mb. I didn't notice any difference in performance -
mythtv worked well in both cases. One FE has a run of 100ft through 3
switches to the backend. It takes about 90s to boot from power on to
mythtv display which is about the same time it took to boot from local disk.

John