[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Jan 6 18:25:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> How do you copy it? a simple "cp -a " won't get the boot stuff will it?

OK, let's recap:

Currently, your system has a single 500gig drive, boot, recordings, and
videos.

You want the 1TB to store recordings, and the 500gig for videos.

Assuming this is correct, I would recomend leaving boot on the 500 gig
drive, moving only recordings to the 1TB. Having the SQL database on a
different drive from recordings is a good idea because of all the
read/writes going on for recordings. Videos on the SQL drive, on the other
hand, doesn't have nearly the impact.

As others have said, rsync is a great way to actually copy the files.

Rather then try to make up an example, if you post your actual current paths
where recordings/videos/etc are stored I'll try to come up with some
specific suggestions.