[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct, Google checkout and credit checks

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 6 17:37:57 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 10:31:59 Robert Eden wrote:
> On 1/6/2009 5:01 AM, lanas wrote:
> >   So, is there any alternative to Schedules Direct that would have a
> > more customer-friendly approach to paying ?
>
> Do you have another suggested payment processor?  I added Google because
> folks were not happy with PayPal.  We don't want to even know your CC#
> or other info because we know what it takes to properly protect your
> privacy and don't think it's worth the expense to go there. (we try to
> stay lean)
>
> The most anonymous solution is to buy a Debit/Vista/Gift card at a
> retailer for cash, you can then use the PayPal CC without an account
> payment method.
>
> As others have noted, I don't see why Google would periodically check a
> card in your account. Remember they don't want to be evil. :)

Sounds like they are not actually doing it, but someone in their legal
department decided they should reserve the right to do so.

Good catch though, I'd write a complaint to google about it, and ask for a
full explanation.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was similar language buried in the PP fine
print as well.

Interestingly, when I purchase things from google (site search engines),
GoogleCheckout is not a payment option :-)

I think the Visa gift card is a reasonable option, but be careful, some of
those charge monthly fees or otherwise take money from you for things other
than purchases.

--
beww
beww at beww.org