[mythtv-users] Hulu Integration

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Tue Jan 6 00:50:45 UTC 2009

It may be that Boxee launched from Myth is the way to go. Although Boxee
has some apparent undercover MythTV support.

I've continued going the Xautomation route, and created a five line
script that launches a Browser window, moves the cursor to the center of
the screen, throws a mouseclick to get focus, then throws an F to launch
full screen. Works 95% of the time. The times it doesn't work is due to
the browser not loading the video within the time limit. For those
times, I have a fullscreen toggle key that toggles the Escape and F keys.

For play/pause I can either stick with Xautomation and throw a
mouseclick keyed to irexec or a space bar to irxevent. The URLS I launch
come off the Hulu queue. It is limited to a certain number though. But
that means the Hulu website can be used to administer what shows up on
my MythTV menu. I switched from MythTV volume control to the LIRC
PulseAudio plugin for systemwide volume.

Exiting is done with an inelegant Firefox kill, after I disabled session
restore.

It isn't perfect, sometimes the pause/play hiccups, but it does its job
for now. At least till Boxee gets better support, or a plugin comes in.

Someone on the wiki did a script that adds Hulu URLs to MythVideo.
Perhaps a method like this will work for navigation, with some internal
tweaks.