[mythtv-users] OT -- hdmi audio breakout cable? -- SOLVED

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:06:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Richard Woelk <richardwoelk at yahoo.ca>wrote:

> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to go from a Xbox that has its audio out only in the
>> hdmi cable to a hdmi projector and a spdif input surround processor?  Is
>> there a cable that does this or can one be made?  I found references to
>> going the other way, but not breaking spdif out of the cable.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> My Elite came with a thinner audio only output that fits with HDMI cable,
> it has analog audio and optical SPDIF
> It would be cheaper than a true HDMI audio splitter, since HDMI audio is
> multiplexed with the video
>

> - Richard

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts.

This was for my son and he decided to order the version that comes with the
analog outputs cable and will buy an long HDMI cable for his projector.
 This solves the problem.  I now know that the audio and video are on the
same data stream so it is not a simple matter to split them out.
Allen