[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:27:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

>>> So my question for the list before I go ahead and buy another drive
>>> is, what is the best setup for storage? I have an eSATA port so I was
>>> thinking of using a 750GB external eSATA drive.
>

> John, I had the same experience when trying to use usb drives. I could not
> use them for storage folders. Myth just doesn't like playing off of them. I
> do however have several of them setup as my video directories for the movies
> I rip into myth (and recordings I transcode into myth) but for live tv and
> regular recordings, usb drives and myth just don't get along.
>
> If only you could use mplayer to do the live tv/recording watching in myth,
> then it'd work great.

Interesting. FYI it seemed to work great for the first 6 months or so.

Anyhow, the current setup is(was) external USB enclosure to a IDE
drive. I actually have SATA ports on my motherboard and I got a
SATA-eSATA cable that I'm going to route out of the case to an
external eSATA enclosure with an eSATA drive.