[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 23:23:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net
> wrote:

> Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> A JM wrote:
>>
>>> So, I just hooked up my DVI to HDMI on my TV went to plug in the audio
>>> and the bomb just went off - how do I get the audio into my TV?
>>>
>>> It has analog audio jacks on the source where my HDMI is plugged into but
>>> it no workey... I'm guessing that since it sees an HDMI connection on that
>>> source it's looking for digitial audio over the HDMI cable, how do I solve
>>> this??? This is a real problem... help!!!
>>>
>>> AJM,
>>>
>> I came across exactly this problem a couple weeks ago. The problem is that
>> the TV is telling the video card that it supports HDMI audio, so the video
>> card is sending an empty audio stream along with the video, even though it
>> is DVI.  Since the TV recognizes audio over the HDMI cable, it refuses to
>> accept audio from any other port.
>>
>> You can forcefeed the driver a slightly modified EDID block with the audio
>> flags disabled.  Check out this page (http://analogbit.com/node/23) for
>> instructions on how to do so, and a copy of the program to modify the EDID
>> block.
>>

>>  I had this same problem a couple weeks ago as well.  The link included
> above didn't work for me because the modes that I used were detailed in the
> extension block that were removed.  I ended up having to extract the modes
> in the  block and put custom mode lines in xorg.conf and used the edid file
> that was produced by the programs described in the link.
>   Further, I used a program called monitor asset manager:
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
> to create my own custom edid file, got everything the way I wanted it, the
> nvidia driver still balked, though I had no reference to audio in the
> extension block, seems like the presence of the block was enough to trigger
> the audio feature in the driver.  Seems like I was not the only one to have
> this problem.
> See here:
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6f1001856e3b1d10d27b583890059a26&showtopic=88272&pid=508316&st=0&#entry508316

Strangely enough the TV appears to accept an analog signal on HDMI1 but I'll
be darned if I can get a signal into it... just to be sure I was dealing
with a legit signal I unplugged the audio from my satellite receiver and
used that as the analog input and still nothing...

"You can forcefeed the driver a slightly modified EDID block with the audio
flags disabled.  Check out this page (http://analogbit.com/node/23) for
instructions on how to do so, and a copy of the program to modify the EDID
block."

How does this apply to the new NVidia driver 180.35 and is anyone
successfully doing it? Does that just tell the TV that there is no digital
signal over HDMI then I assume it would them "turn-on" the analog ports on
the tv?

The other thought I had was combining SPDIF with the DVI output from my PC
and simply supplying both audio and video over the HDMI output of th ePC,
can that be done?

Thanks,