[mythtv-users] Dumb question about VDPAU

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:36:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Kevin Bailey <ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:30:24PM -0500, Fred Squires wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Kevin Bailey
> > <ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > Does VDPAU do decompression of mp2 in hardware
> > > (as well as de-interlacing) ?
> >
> > yes
>
> That's what I thought. So it struck me as strange
> that there are all these threads about how the only
> advantage of VDPAU was better de-interlacing.
> For me, the advantage is lowered CPU loads for
> decompression.

I haven't noticed anyone saying that better deinterlacing was the only
advantage. I have seen posts saying that better deinterlacing was an
(additional) advantage. It's also the main thing that differentiates between
different GPUs (at least now that the drivers allow VC1 decoding on all
supported GPUs), since not all GPUs are capable of using all the
deinterlacing schemes.

Regards,
Steve