[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Fri Feb 27 20:07:03 UTC 2009

Tom Dexter wrote:

> I don't think any more of Hulu's decision than anyone else here, I
> just don't get this perception of some legal right to use a web site
> any way you want just because it's there.

Lets reverse the question: Where is their legal right to tell us how we
use their content that they have freely available.  I'll list the
scenarios and someone can draw the line where the break point is:

1. Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
2. Monitor, Keyboard, Remote, Computer, Firefox
3. TV, Keyboard, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
4. TV, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
5. TV, Remote, Computer, Firefox
6. TV, Remote, Computer, Other non-Firefox Browser
7. TV, Remote, Computer, MythTV
8. TV, Keyboard, Mouse
9. TV, Mouse
10. TV, Remote

Now granted 8-10 haven't happened yet, but that doesn't mean they can't.
  Why does it matter what we are using to view their content?  We are
still viewing it and the ad that they have in such content.  What if I
just use a big LCD monitor for my TV?  Does that make it OK then?  What
if I just think to myself really hard that I am watching it on a
computer while I sit on my couch and watch it?  Will that be enough for
the thought police?  If they want to put their content out there, then
they need to expect people to maneuver to use it in a manner that the
consumer sees fit.  If I am giving their ad EyeTime then I can view it
in a manner that makes ME happy not them.

Brent