[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 27 17:58:59 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 10:50:36 Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
> > I don't think anyone would disagree that using a usa based proxy to view
> > Hulu content in Australia isn't breaking the law.
>
> I would.
>
> Which law is being broken here?
>
> A content publisher can make any sort of rules they like.  They can
> say that their content can only be viewed if you're wearing a hat, if
> they want, but they can't enforce these rules by the force of law.
>
> Copyright law allows restrictions on copying and public performance.
> It's not a blanket grant for whatever terms the copyright holder
> wants.

Well put. Trying to restrict what technology you can use to view the work is
getting ridiculous.

Does the fact that I use my technology of choice (eyeglasses) to consume the
work I have licensed make me a criminal because it was not specifically
mentioned in the license?

Saying I can't watch licensed content on my TV set, and must use my "computer"
is akin to such an eyeglass restriction.

What they actually want is something that prevents me from interfering with
their revenue stream, like requiring buggy whips in automobiles, so the whip
makers are not threatened.

--
beww
beww at beww.org