[mythtv-users] What's a good projector for Myth?

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:39:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of moving my TV setup into a different room and using a
> projector onto a 100" projector screen.  I started looking into projectors
> and I'm shocked by the enormous range of prices and don't want to make a
> stupid choice.  I imagine that some of a given projector's cost may be for
> features that MythTV doesn't need, such as deinterlacing, or switching
> aspect ratios.  Other properties wouldn't be Myth-specific, like ones that
> are important for the specific room.  Can anyone share general wisdom or
> specific recommendations?

I'm looking to set up a 100 - 120" screen projector over the next month - so
been researching projectors.  I'm sold on the idea of 1080p having seen a
few demos.  With Netflix renting Blu-Rays now for on a $1 more per month -
there will be plenty of opportunity for good source material.

The refurbished BenQ W5000
http://shop.benq.us/benq-us/product.aspx?sku=3964860&culture=en-US seems
like a great deal at the moment for a 1080p DLP for only $1299.  You need to
download the instruction manual for placement limitations (110" screen needs
13-16' throw if I remember correctly).  The Epson 6100 also gets good
reviews if you need more light output.