[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Feb 26 11:15:38 UTC 2009

Brad Templeton wrote:
> The description of bob 2x at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
> differs from this but I suspect it is wrong.  I thought that box 2x
> displayed at 60 frames/second showing the current field every other
> line mixed with the previous field in alternate lines, like a TV with
> 1/30th second persistence does.

As far as I know Bob just turns each field into a frame by line
doubling. What you describe is present in MythTv with the name
"Interlaced" deinterlacer, and is available only if you use
OpenGL for blitting. Someone else here called it "Field Order".
In theory "Field Order" is the perfect deinterlacer for use
with interlaced content into a matching interlaced output. It
can do the same job as Bob x2 but, unlike bob, cannot get out
of sync.

Perhaps what VDPAU provides, when Bob is selected, is actually
field order. That would explain how it seems to work so well.

Cheers,
	Paul.