[mythtv-users] transcoding finishing touches

Stephen Shelton stephen at stephenashelton.com
Thu Feb 26 06:18:59 UTC 2009

Most of the built in (and not-so-built-in) utilities for transcoding (nuvexport,
mythtranscode, in particular) do not want to modify the original recorded video,
instead leaving copies around. Perhaps worse, they both seem to fail frequently
when they really have succeeded.

I've found myself, for this reason, wrapping most of the utilities in short
shell scripts. I'd like to finish it all off by overwriting/moving the final
file, which brings me to a couple questions:

1) What all is required here? Of the fields on the 'recorded' table, I'll
obviously need to modify filesize, and basename if I rename the file. I'm
guessing the video length is (endtime - starttime), so I either need to have
those times not reflect the air times, or have the length not reflect the final
video length. Not a big deal. Do I want to clear the cutlist or commercial flags
(will they cause me pains otherwise?)

2) The basename doesn't really let me put my transcoded files into a separate
directory. To accomplish this, do I want to change storage groups?

3) Will I run into trouble by running ad-hoc sql statements to accomplish the
above?

Thanks much.

--
Stephen Shelton