[mythtv-users] "Fast" wireless options?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 03:34:41 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 18:18:26 Matt wrote:
>> I am looking for a way to get data to a FE so that HDTV is possible.
>> The only reasonable way to get data to this location is using
>> wireless.
>>
>> - Are there any 802.11n adapters that have reasonable support in Linux yet?
>> - Are there any Wireless-N routers that are supported by OpenWRT so I
>> can bridge them?

If there is no support for 802.11n PCI/USB devices, there is also the option
of using two access points and bridging them rather than the expense of
two full routers.

>> Are there any other 'fast' wireless options for Linux?  I can get a
>> cable to the FE, but I need some way to bridge the two wired segments
>> with a really fast "wireless" segment.
>
> I think "fast" and "wireless" are pretty much mutually exclusive. Even the
> draft N spec is not as fast as you might think.
>
> Any wireless is subject to interference, which will drop the speed even more
> than the normal slow speeds. If you want to avoid interference and thus
> eliminate that as a potential problem 802.11a is probably your best bet.

If this is to be a specific bridge rather than a new wireless network then
you may find that using high gain directional antennas (e.g. the Pringles
can type) will help out immensely compared to the built in omni-directionals.

> But any wired option, including some of the power line devices, is probably
> faster than 802.11.

Agreed, if you can find a sane way to run cables then it will probably be
the better option.

cheers,
Owen.