[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Feb 25 23:51:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:17:18AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/26 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com<brad%2Bmyth at templetons.com>
> >

> > The description of bob 2x at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
> > differs from this but I suspect it is wrong.  I thought that box 2x
> > displayed at 60 frames/second showing the current field every other
> > line mixed with the previous field in alternate lines, like a TV with
> > 1/30th second persistence does.
> >

> Here is a good page to start from:
> http://www.100fps.com/
>
> Bob is also known as "progressive scan"

Yeah, I have read that page but I did not realize that Myth did
the really stupid bob -- which I presumed would cause a jittery
image as things moved up and down, and thought it did one of the
better ones such as a bob and weave.

Of course, due to too much precision for exactness of frame rates,
I have found that the 2x deinterlacers are often rejected because
the LCD monitor framerate is just one off from double the video
framerate, though it seems like it should be more.  But I've never
spent the time to track it down.

So what is current best practice for deinterlacers for ordinary
(non sports/high-motion) 1080i video with varying levels of
CPU?    I have tended to like kerndeint but have not looked
at things in a while.